Am I the only one who remembers when the words "Great" and "American" went hand in hand? When did this phrase go from being an accepted truth to becoming an oxymoron?
Any of my regular readers will know I am not among the America hating crowd on the left, nor am I a member of the Nationalist movement on the right. I am simply someone who is saddened and disheartened by what my once Great and Proud Nation has become.
The reason I bring this up is that during one of many conversations with expatriates from around the world, we discussed Thomas Jefferson. He was a great man, despite his humanness and any subsequent flaws he may have had.
What struck me as odd was when I said "Great American:" it produced many raised eyebrows and looks of confusion. It was almost as if the concept of a great American was foreign to these people. No pun intended.
America has contributed a lot to the world. Even today, despite many claims to the contrary, America continues to be a caring and giving nation at its heart. America gives charitable contributions in amounts greater than any other nation on this earth. That is simply the truth and an irrefutable fact.
Please click the link above to read more about Great Americans.

No comments:
Post a Comment