Cuss Words and Alternatives
Is there a difference between cuss words and “regular” words when the emotions, meanings and feelings behind them are the same? I know I cuss too much. According to my partner, any cussing is too much. I wonder though if it is the words that make it bad or simply the connotations.
A word is very simply a means of conveying an idea. What may be a disturbing word in one language may not be in another. This can even be true between two different dialects of the same language. A closer look and a comparison between American English and British English will clearly support this fact.
I know people who use such exclamations as “You WORM!” and “Pickled fudge feet!” in order to have a viable alternative to cussing. I wonder though, if this actually differs in any meaningful way from just saying the words that are implied.
If the word is truly just a method to communicate the idea and the whole idea behind the expression that is being used is the same, does that make the word the same? While it would certainly not be as offensive to other people around them, I think that as long as the necessary components are there, no matter what the actual comment is, it still holds the same meaning.
Read the entire article about cussing here
Saturday, August 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment